Updated Mar 30 2020
As of today, all practitioners with a valid Medicare provider number can bill all patients with a valid Medicare card. See more information & eligible item numbers here
As at Mar 25 2020
Temporary MBS item numbers for telehealth services have been introduced in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. The new items will support GPs in delivering services via videoconference and phone to patients to reduce the risk of transmission.
The new items will be available from the 13th of March to the 30th of September 2020 and are eligible to be used by GPs, Specialists, Consultant Physicians, Obstetricians, Consultant Psychiatrists, Nurse Practitioners, Allied Health and Mental Health Workers and Midwives for consultations with vulnerable and/or isolated patients.
The definition of ‘vulnerable or isolated patients’ has been expanded to include:
- Persons who have been confirmed to have COVID-19
- Persons who meet the current national triage protocol criteria for suspected COVID-19 infection
- Persons who have been required to self- isolate in accordance with home isolation guidance issued by Australian Health Protection Principal Committee
- Persons who are considered more vulnerable to the virus:
- Patients aged over 70
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islande patients aged over 50
- Pregnant patients
- Parents of children under 12 months
- Patients who are immunocompromised
- Patients who have a chronic condition that results in increased risk of infection
From March 23, vulnerable health professionals and general practitioners who are currently authorised to use telehealth*, will also be able to use telehealth for all consultations with all their patients.
The definition of a vulnerable health professional includes:
- A person who has been diagnosed with COVID-19
- A person who has been required to self- isolate in accordance with home isolation guidance issued by Australian Health Protection Principal Committee.
ITEM NUMBERS FOR GENERAL PRACTITIONERS:
*There is not formal application process to be eligible to provide telehealth services, you must have a Medicare Provider Number however.
UPDATE: After Hours Item Number Now Included are:
- 599 which is 92210 for a video conference or 92216 for a phone conference
- 600 which is 92211 for a video conference or 92217 for a phone conference
DID WE MISS SOMETHING IMPORTANT?
We’re here to help. If there is something we’re missing, please let us know! Our team are available at [email protected]
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.