Do I need to change practice to transfer from SAPP to PEP?

Changes is legislation have caused this blog to be superseded. Click here for an update: Update me!



Here at People Medical Consulting we like spreading what we know and giving you a clear pathway to your career. We’re answering a different question each week based on queries raised via our Facebook & Instagram profiles.




Do I need to change practice to transfer from SAPP to PEP?



This will depend on a few factors, but the short answer is no, you will not be required to change practices if you are in a MMM 1 area. 



PEP Provider Number Rollover

If you are working in a MMM 1 area and your SAPP provider number is valid at the time of your entry into the PEP program, the PEP team will be able to organise a rollover of your 3GA workforce provider number. This provider number will cover your 19AA restriction.



How long will it take for the Provider Number to be approved?

PEP have advised that this process will take between 10 – 12 weeks. However, this process can be extended if they are experiencing a high workload.



Can I change Practice if a Rollover has been organised for me?

If you decide to change to a different practice after PEP have organised a Provider Number, you will be required to search for a practice in a MMM 2 – 7 classification. PEP will not be able to approve a change of practice in a MMM 1 area. 



Will PEP provide me with a 19AB exemption?

Whilst you are on SAPP, you are provided with an exemption to 19AB and are able to work in a non-DPA area. PEP will not provide an exemption to 19AB, so if your practice is in a non-DPA area you will need to organise a 19AB exemption or relocate to an eligible area (MMM 2 – 7 & DPA). 


The 19AB exemptions you can consider will include the following: 

  • After Hours Exemption – Allowed to work during the after-hours.
  • Spousal Exemption – Spouse will need to be have been approved on a skilled visa in the last 10 years and if they are working as a GP, will either need to be outside of their moratorium or hold an unconditional exemption. Under this exemption, they will need to be within a close distance to their partners workplace.  
  • Replacement Exemption- A GP has left your practice and you are replacing them.
  • Academic Exemption – Teaching Medical Students through a University.



How Can We Help?

Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at [email protected].



Information for this Blog has been taken from the following resources:


People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners, and   Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.

Related Articles