Health Workforce Certificates for 457 Visa Holders

When the 457 Visa was changed to the Temporary Skill Shortage Visa, a lot of doctors were left wondering how this would impact them. The biggest change between transferring from a 457 visa to the TSS is that clinics would be required to hold a Health Workforce Certificate which demonstrates the area’s need for a GP.

Clinics employing all three classifications of Doctor (General Practitioner (ANZSCO 253111), Resident Medical Officers (ANZSCO 253112) and Medical Practitioners not elsewhere classified (ANZSCO 253999)) – now need a Health Workforce Certificate (HWC) for nominating the General Practitioners for the TSS and other employer-sponsored visas.

In a nutshell, if you were on a 457 Visa and now need to “renew” it, you will have to transfer to a TSS visa and the clinic sponsoring you will require a Health Workforce Certificate.

However, in order to not disadvantage GPs who are transitioning from 457 visas, the ‘Visas for GPs’ program will expedite the process of getting a HWC for GPs who have been working with the same employer for at least 12 months. 

Clinics employing all three classifications of Doctor will be eligible to apply for a Health Workforce certificate which will be, in most cases, granted almost immediately.

Several administrative steps will be required however, RWA position assessment may not be a required step for these positions.

Get in touch with our team to discuss your individual circumstances and how we can help!

Pradeep Brar

Registered Migration Agent, MARN 1575911


Phone +61 7 3463 9173

Mobile +61 452 577 272

WhatsApp +61 452 577 272




Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.

Related Articles

PEP Specialist Stream

IMPORTANT UPDATE: From 22 November 2023 an exemption will apply to the following Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements for Comparability Assessments: *This will apply to all pending and…