Here at People Medical Consulting we like spreading what we know and giving you a clear pathway to your career. We’re answering a different question each week based on queries raised via our Facebook & Instagram profiles.
THIS WEEK’S QUESTION…?
I’m an IMG- how do I become a GP in Australia?!
Step 1: Are you eligible to be a GP?
- Have you worked as a GP before?
- Have you had RACGP or ACRRM assess your experience to ensure you have the minimum equivalent experience AHPRA requires for you to meet the experience requirement of 3 Years for Limited AHPRA Registration?
Step 2: Where are you eligible to work?
- An IMG is restricted to working in a DPA for a period of 10 years. Yes, there are exemptions but make sure you have it confirmed before you move forward!
- A visa holder will require the clinic to get a Health Workforce Certificate. Make sure the clinic has this PRIOR to sitting any PESCIs.
- A Permanent Resident or Australian Citizen will require a 3GA program. Make sure you’re eligible for a program, and that your practice is eligible as a location BEFORE sitting a PESCI
Step 3: Find a job!
You can look on websites such as
Or find an agency to assist you.
Step 4: Triple check they have what you need to be successful
- Re-read Step 2!
Step 5: Sit a PESCI
Step 6: Apply to AHPRA
Step 7: Apply for your Visa or 3GA program
Step 8: Apply to Medicare
Step 9: Work!
If you’re not eligible for a GP job, you can apply to work in the hospital system until you have General AHPRA Registration.
How Can We Help?
Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at [email protected]
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners, and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.