The More Doctors for Rural Australia Program (MDRAP) is a new 3GA program that has recently commenced. The purpose of MDRAP is to increase the health care services in rural and remote areas of Australia by increasing the number of doctors in these communities.
MDRAP will allow Non-VR GPs to access Medicare Benefits whilst working towards completing their Fellowship.
With the Department of Health confirming that SAPP and RLRP will stop accepting applications during 2019 we have received a lot of enquiries about MDRAP, so we wanted to provide you with all the important information!
WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR MDRAP?
For a GP to be eligible for MDRAP, you will require the following:
- AHPRA Registration
- An Offer of Employment
- The Necessary Skills and Experience to work as a GP
Also, if applicable MDRAP will also consider your previous 3GA placements when assessing your application.
WHERE CAN I WORK ON MDRAP?
For your practice to be eligible for MDRAP, they will need the following:
- To be in a DWS area
- Classified as a Modified Monash Model (MMM) 2 – 7
If the practice is an Aboriginal Medical Service or holds an exemption under s19(2) or s19(5) of the Health Insurance Act 1973, it will be eligible for MDRAP without having to meet the above criteria.
HOW LONG CAN I BE ON MDRAP?
GPs will receive an initial placement of 2 years on MDRAP.
In certain circumstances, MDRAP will approve an extension so the GP will spend a total of 4 years on the program.
WHAT BENEFITS WILL I RECEIVE AS PART OF MDRAP?
GPs on MDRAP will receive access to A7 items on the Medicare Benefits Schedule.
ARE THERE ANY REQUIREMENTS AS PART OF THE PROGRAM?
As part of the program, you will be required to complete the following:
- Apply for at least 1 Fellowship Pathway each year
- Complete the Foundation General Practice Training Modules provided by either RACGP or ACRRM within 6 months of commencing on MDRAP
- Ensure at least 25hours of CPD Activities are relevant to General Practice every year
HOW DO I APPLY FOR MDRAP?
To apply for MDRAP you will need to contact the Rural Workforce Agency in your State of Territory. The links can be found below:
- New South Wales: https://www.nswrdn.com.au/site/index.cfm
- Queensland: https://www.healthworkforce.com.au/
- Northern Territory: https://www.ntphn.org.au/health-professionals
- South Australia: https://www.ruraldoc.com.au/
- Tasmania: https://www.hrplustas.com.au/
- Victoria: https://www.rwav.com.au/
- Western Australia: http://www.ruralhealthwest.com.au/
HOW WE CAN HELP YOU:
If you are looking for further guidance on MDRAP or would like to ask further questions about the information mentioned, this is something our team can help you with. Contact us directly on [email protected].
Information for this blog has been taken directly from:
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.