Location Requirements for MDRAP
In order to work under MDRAP as a General Practitioner, your practice must meet the following criteria:
- Distribution Priority Area (DPA) Location
- Modified Monash Model (MMM) Classification between 2 – 7
The practice is also eligible for an MDRAP placement if they are classified as any of the following:
- An Aboriginal Medical Service, or be the subject of a Ministerial direction under s19 (2) or s19 (5) of the Act,
- An Aboriginal Controlled Community Health Service or be the subject of Ministerial direction under s19(2) or s19(5) of the Act
Where can I check if a practice is eligible?
You can find this information at DoctorConnect from this link: https://www.health.gov.au/resources/apps-and-tools/health-workforce-locator/health-workforce-locator
You will need to check the ‘DPA for GPs’ and ‘Modified Monash Model’ and enter the address to find the necessary information.
Please note that exemptions from 19AB are not considered for MDRAP. Even a GP that is not restricted by 19AB must adhere to the DPA rule for MDRAP.
Alternative 3GA Options
Your 3GA options depend on your Registration Level and experience as a General Practitioner.
If your practice is not eligible for MDRAP, you may still be eligible for the following 3GA programs:
- Australian General Practice Training (AGPT)
- An Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Hold or expect to hold General Registration by the commencement of the program
- ACRRM Independent Pathway
- An Australian or New Zealand citizen/permanent resident or have Australian temporary residency (skilled migration or business visas – student visa is not permitted)
- Currently hold or will hold an AHPRA General, or Specialist, or Provisional, or Limited registration prior to the commencement of the program
- Australian Medical Deputising Service (AMDS)
- Hold temporary or permanent residency in Australia
- Hold Limited, or Provisional or General Registration
- Hold Level 1 Advanced Life Support (ALS) Course Certificate
- Have at least two years of post-graduate experience, including paediatrics, accident and emergency, and medicine and surgery
- Be subject to the requirements of section 19AA of the Act which requires a non-VR doctor to be on an approved 3GA workforce or training program to access a Medicare benefit.
- Fellowship Support Program (FSP)
- Be an Australian or New Zealand Citizen, or Temporary or Permanent resident
- Have current AHPRA registration and, if under supervision, Level 2 or above supervision level is required
- Employed or have a job offer in a practice in an MMM 2-7 location
- Have a minimum of one exam semester remaining to complete all Fellowship examinations
- Rural Generalist Training Scheme (RGTS)
- Hold Australian or New Zealand citizenship, or Australian permanent residency status
- Hold a General Registration, and have a job offer or currently working in a MMM 2-7 location
- Remote Vocational Training Scheme (RVTS)
- Hold a General, or Provisional, or Limited Registration with level 3 or 4 supervision
- Be an Australian citizen, or permanent resident, or temporary resident
What if I Do Not Fit the Criteria for any Alternative 3GA Programs?
If you do not meet the eligibility criteria for any of the alternative 3GA programs, you will be required to join MDRAP until you meet the eligibility. This means that you may need to change practices, so you can work in an eligible practice.
Note: The information presented above has been gathered from the ACRRM, AHPRA AMDS, MDRAP, RACGP, and RVTS websites and has been updated as of 2023-11-27.
We Can Help You
Here at People Medical Consulting, we have a passion for guiding medical practitioners through their career pathways to Australia. We have extensive experience in assisting medical facilities in recruiting doctors from local and overseas who will best suit their requirements.
We provide Document Assistance for those requiring support for their PESCI with IME, ACRRM or RACGP, registration and all other mandatory AHPRA requirements, fellowship program related forms and letters, application for Medicare provider and prescriber numbers, application for 19AB or 19AA exemptions and preparation of employment documents.
If you’re looking for assistance, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we would be glad to help you.
Information from this blog has been taken directly from: