In Australia, there are 2 Colleges that will allow you to become a Specialist General Practitioner; you can complete your Fellowship with ACRRM or RACGP and will be recognised as a Specialist with either Fellowship.
What College should I Fellow with?
This is entirely up to you! We would recommend having a look over the programs required to sit for either ACRRM or RACGP Fellowship and the Assessments/Examinations you are required to complete to determine what you would prefer to do. ACRRM aims to provide training to equip GPs with the skills needed to provide effective care rurally, whilst RACGP focuses more on metropolitan care.
Do I need to be on a training program?
From 2022 it became compulsory for all doctors seeking Fellowship with either RACGP or ACRRM to have participated in an approved training program in order to be eligible to sit their exams.
This means, your first step towards Fellowship is to decide what training program you would like to join.
What Training Programs can I be on?
There will be five pathways to Fellowship- PEP, AGPT, ACRRM Independent Pathway, RGTS & RVTS.
RGTS, AGPT, RVTS and ACRRM Independent Pathway will allow you to sit for the ACRRM fellowship exams.
AGPT, RVTS and PEP will allow you to sit for the RACGP fellowship exams.
PEP training is currently in a transition period with an expected update by July 2022 on what the new program will look like now that it has lost government funding.
What Training Program should I choose?
The AGPT Program provides
- Face-to-face case management from a dedicated Training Officer
- Personalised Medical Educator guidance
- A structured learning experience
- Face-to-face education delivery with your cohort
- Up to two years Recognition of Prior Learning
The Independent Pathway, and RGTS provides:
- Individualised case management from your dedicated Training Officer and
- Personalised guidance from your Medical Educator
- A comprehensive and structured online and face-to-face education program
- A flexible learning experience through self-guided and facilitated online courses
- Choose your own adventure and live, work and train in amazing locations nationally
- Recognition of Prior Learning
The RVTS program is designed to accommodate the circumstances of remote practice and provide the best possible educational experience. Training is provided via distance education and supervision is facilitated remotely. Program delivery is flexible and designed to meet a participant’s individual needs.
The training encompasses:
- Clinical skills
- The nature of remote communities
- Public health
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health
- Management skills and professional networks
- Advanced skills training
The PEP consists of terms which are six-months in duration, and completion of a minimum of five online learning units per term. Participants are allocated terms according to the time they begin the PEP.
What assessment will I need to complete?
During the duration of your time on a training program, you will be expected to be working towards and sitting your Fellowship exams.
For ACRRM Fellowship you will need to complete the following assessments
- Formative Mini Clinical Evaluation Exercise (mini-CEX): Completion of nine consults
- Multi-Source Feedback (MSF)
- Multiple Choice Question Assessment (MCQ)
- Case Based Discussion (CBD)
- Structured Assessment using Multiple Patient Scenarios (StAMPS)
- Procedural Skills Logbook
For RACGP Fellowship you will need to complete the following assessments:
Once you have passed these assessments you will become a Vocationally Registered General Practitioner in Australia!
What does being a Fellowed doctor mean?
As a Vocationally Registered doctor you will be able to work in either the hospital system or general practice without supervision. Please keep in mind that if you are restricted by 19AB, you will continue to be required to work in a DPA area for the duration of your Moratorium.
DO YOU NEED HELP?
Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at [email protected].
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.