Here at People Medical Consulting we like spreading what we know and giving you a clear pathway to your career. We’re answering a different question each week based on queries raised via our Facebook & Instagram profiles.
THIS WEEK’S QUESTION…?
I’m PR/Citizen with less than 2 years of GP experience assessed by RACGP, what are my options to get into GP Practice?
Firstly, it is important to note that being either an Australian Permanent Resident or an Australian Citizen means that you are restricted by 19AA of the Health Act requiring you to be on an approved 3GA training program to be able to access Medicare benefits. We have actually written a blog entirely around 19AA and the 3GA programs here and an updated version here.
It’s really important to note, your residency status (Being on a visa, or PR, or a citizen) has nothing to do with your AHPRA Registration.
If you have less than 2 years of GP experience, regardless of whether you’re eligible for AHPRA Registration, you still need to meet 19AA of the health act, and get on a 3GA program.
There are six 3GA programs that are relevant to you
- AGPT (You need to start in the hospital system first)
- RLRP (You need to start in the hospital system first)
- AMDS (Clinic based ONLY and after hours does NOT mean AMDS)
- SAPP (Only if you have extenuating circumstances
- RVTS (You need to be already working to be eligible for this one)
- ACRRM Independent Pathway (You need to start in the hospital system first)
This is just a breif summary of the above articles so make sure you give them a read.
To answer the question, without 2+ years GP time assessed, you need to:
- Look for a hospital job first
- Go back to a 457 visa (you should consult with a migration agent first! We have Kellee Gray here to help with these questions)
- Go to where you have registration to get the required experience
If our team can help, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. We provide as much information as we can, and we help at every stage of the process. Contact our team at [email protected] to find out more about how we can help you.
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners, Migration for all with a special emphasis on Medical and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemption