WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR THIS PATHWAY?
The RACS Specialist Pathway is for International Medical Graduates who are overseas trained specialists applying for assessment to the standard of a specialist in Australia.
To be eligible to apply for assessment doctors need:
- A primary qualification in medicine and surgery from a training institution listed in the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDoMS)
- Have satisfied all the training and examination requirements to practice in the field of specialty in your country of training.
WHAT SPECIALTIES FALL UNDER RACS?
As an IMG you can apply for the Specialist Pathway if you specialise in:
- Cardiothoracic Surgery
- General Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
- Paediatric Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
WHAT IS THE PROCESS?
If you wish to work as a specialist surgeon in Australia you are required to:
- Apply directly to ECFMG EPIC for verification of both primary and specialist qualification(s);
- Complete an Australian Medical Council online application to establish an AMC portfolio and then;
- Apply to RACS for a Specialist assessment. It is important that you have applied to the ECFMG for EPIC verification before you apply to RACS for specialist assessment.
IMGs who satisfy the requirements of the document-based assessment will be invited to a face to face semi-structured panel interview. The purpose of the interview is to gather more information to complete the assessment of comparability and to finalise the assessment. Following the interview, an IMG applicant may be recommended to undertake a period of clinical assessment under supervision.
The RACS specialist assessment process normally takes up to 3 months (from date of activation) to completion.
RACS will formally advise the IMG and the Medical Board of Australia (MBA) of the assessment outcome.
YOUR NEXT STEPS
Once you have been assessed as substantially comparable or have completed the SET Program, you can apply for a job in surgery, apply to AHPRA for Registration and complete the RACS Fellowship assessment.
DO YOU NEED HELP?
Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.