Short Term Training Pathway

Short term training in medical specialties is for international medical graduates (IMGs) who are overseas-trained specialists or specialists-in-training wishing to undertake a short period of specialist training in Australia.

This pathway does not lead to registration as a specialist in Australia. 


You can apply for Short Term Training if you:

  • Are an IMG;
  • Hold a primary qualification in medicine and surgery awarded by a training institution recognised by both the Australian Medical Council and the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS); and
  • Have satisfied all the training and examination requirements to practise in your specialty in your country of training or be no more than two years away from completing your specialist training.

You also must have a training position offer prior to applying to the Board for registration via this pathway.

Short Term Training is aso only available for the specific specialties of these medical colleges

  • Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists (ANZCA)
  • The Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons (RACDS)
  • The Australasian College of Dermatologists (ACD) 
  • The Australasian College for Emergency Medicine (ACEM)
  • The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP)
  • College of Intensive Care Medicine of Australia and New Zealand (CICM)
  • The Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators (RACMA)
  • The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (RANZCOG)
  • The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists (RANZCO)
  • The Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia (RCPA)
  • The Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP)
  • The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP)
  • The Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists (RANZCR)
  • Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (ACRRM)
  • Australasian College of Sport and Exercise Physicians (ACSEP)
  • Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)

How to apply for the short term training 

You will need to follow these steps to apply for Short Term Training:

  1. Secure a training position 
  2. Apply to the Australian Medical Council (AMC) for primary source verification of their medical qualifications 
  3. Apply directly to the relevant college using an MBA application form for assessment by a specialist medical college for a training position (AAMC-30 Application for assessment by a medical college) 
  4. The college will then assess the suitability of the training position for the specific applicant 
  5. Apply to the Board for ‘Limited registration for postgraduate training or supervised practice’. NOTE: If you also meet the eligibility criteria of the competent authority pathway, you will apply for provisional registration and not limited registration.

IMGs with limited or provisional registration must work under supervision. 


Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at [email protected]

People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.

Related Articles