Update: Do I need to change practice to transfer from SAPP to PEP in a MMM 1?

Here at People Medical Consulting we like spreading what we know and giving you a clear pathway to your career. We’re answering a different question each week based on queries raised via our Facebook & Instagram profiles.


Do I need to change practice to transfer from SAPP to PEP?


This will depend on a few factors…


PEP Provider Number Rollover

If you are working in a MMM 1 area and your SAPP provider number is valid at the time of your entry into the PEP program AND IS NOT A SHORT TERM PLACEMENT (i.e. 3 – 6 months) then the PEP team are able to organise a rollover of your 3GA workforce provider number. This provider number will cover your 19AA restriction.


How long will it take for the Provider Number to be approved?

PEP are required to process all your documents internally before submitting them to the Department of Health and Medicare. It is therefore taking up to 12 weeks to process a Medicare Provider Number.  


Can I change practice if a rollover has been organised for me?

Changing practices after your SAPP has changed to PEP will mean you’ll need a practice in a MMM 2 – 7 location.  


Will PEP provide me with a 19AB exemption?

SAPP provides an exemption to both 19AA and 19AB which allows you to work in MMM 1 and Non-DPA locations. PEP does not provide an exemption so you’ll need to find an exemption if you wish to access Medicare in this location, otherwise you’ll need to change practice. 


19AB exemptions include: 

  • After Hours Exemption – Allowed to work during the after-hours.
  • Spousal Exemption – Spouse will need to be have been approved on a skilled visa in the last 10 years and if they are working as a GP, will either need to be outside of their moratorium or hold an unconditional exemption. Under this exemption, they will need to be within a close distance to their partners workplace.  
  • Replacement Exemption- A GP has left your practice and you are replacing them.
  • Academic Exemption – Teaching Medical Students through a University.


How Can We Help?

Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at [email protected]


People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners, and   Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.


Information for this Blog has been taken from the following resources:

Related Articles