Visa’s for GPs Program

“Visa’s for GPs Program”

The Australian Government established the Visas for GPs Program to address the shortage of GPs in rural and remote areas. 

In collaboration with the Better Distribution of Medical Practitioners, this program ensures IMGs work in communities that are lacking in primary healthcare services and makes it easier for people in regional, rural and remote areas to access doctors. 

Under this program, facilities wanting to hire IMGs must apply for a Health Workforce Certificate (HWC). This certificate must be attached to the visa nomination for the IMG requiring an employer sponsored visa. 

Health Workforce Certificates are expedited for hospital positions, international students graduating from Australian medical schools, and positions at Aboriginal Medical Service and AMDS.


Who needs one?

If you are an employer hiring an overseas trained General Practitioner, Resident Medical Officer or Medical Practitioner who requires one of the following visas, you will need a HWC. 

  • Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) (subclass 482)
  • Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Provisional) (subclass 494) visa
  • Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) (subclass 186)
  • Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) (subclass 187)


How do I apply for one?

To apply for a HWC for a non- hospital based position complete and submit the Health Workforce Certificate online form

Hospital employers apply with the hospital online application form

If approved you will be issued a HWC as a PDF attachment to an email. If your application is declined or if they need more information, you will be contacted directly. 


How much does it cost?

The application and certificate will cost you nothing!


How long will it take?

Processing is around 10 days. 


How do I dispute the outcome and how long will it take?

If you don’t agree with the outcome, you can respond to their decision email requesting they reconsider, including any additional relevant information that might help your case. 

If you are disputing a decision be aware that these are passed to the Department of Health to be reviewed by a committee. Usually 30 business days, they’re taking up to 2 months currently due to COVID19.



Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at [email protected]

People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.

Related Articles