QUESTION OF THE WEEK…
What is the’ Locum Tenens’ provision in the MBS…?
The locum tenens are provisions in the Medicare Benefits Schedule that allow eligible doctors to use their existing provider number at a new practice if:
- The period is less than two weeks; and
- The health professional will be returning to the original practice.
To be eligible under the locum tenens, a doctor must be either:
- An Australian trained doctor who has fellowship of an Australian medical college; or
- An overseas trained doctor who holds fellowship of an Australian medical college, and has completed their ten year moratorium requirement; or
- A doctor working in a hospital with a Medicare provider number to refer patients to a specialist, or request diagnostic imaging or pathology only.
Locum tenens is not available to restricted doctors, including those who require a section 19AB exemption or 3GA placement.
How Can We Help?
Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at [email protected].
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners, and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.