Here at People Medical Consulting we like spreading what we know and giving you a clear pathway to your career. We’re answering a different question each week based on queries raised via our Facebook & Instagram profiles.
This Week’s Question…?
STATEMENT: PR + NON-VR = 19AA Medicare Restrictions!
I know this is something we post about A LOT however; I’ve come back from the weekend to more enquiries about 19AA & the 3GA programs!
Here are the solid gold truths-
- If you get Permanent Residency as a GP, you will need to stop working until you’ve been enrolled onto a 3GA program.
- The programs are RLRP, RVTS, AMDS, ACRRM Independent Pathway, AGPT & SAPP.
- If you don’t have GP Experience, it is going to be difficult to get onto RLRP, RVTS & AMDS. ACRRM IP & AGPT have lengthy application processes and SAPP is for extenuating circumstances.
- While SAPP has broadened its scope, it isn’t that broad. Without a good reason, it’s unlikely you’ll get an exemption.
- If you choose not to access Medicare and continue working privately billing your patients, you will need to apply for a refer & request provider number to be able to refer patients and request pathology.
- The point of this week’s ‘question’ (which is actually a statement this week!) is not to discourage you from applying for PR or from being a GP- it is to encourage you to do your research and have a plan in place prior to taking steps towards either.
A GP who is a PR or citizen who is a Non-VR (has not completed fellowship) is restricted by 19AA, requiring you to be on a 3GA program before you can access Medicare.
Read in more depth about the 3GA programs and 19AA here: https://peoplemedical.com.au/19aa-the-3ga-programs-2018-update/
An IMG PR will be restricted by both 19AA & 19AB.
If you’re thinking of applying for PR and you’re not sure if you’ll be eligible for a program, contact our team. We are here to help!
07 3503 1444
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners, Migration for all with a special emphasis on Medical and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions