What do I need to apply for a Medicare Provider Number?

Here at People Medical Consulting we like spreading what we know and giving you a clear pathway to your career. We’re answering a different question each week based on queries raised via our Facebook & Instagram profiles.





What do I need to apply for a Medicare Provider Number?



To apply for a Medicare Provider Number, you’ll require:

  • An offer of employment
  • Complete and sign the form HW019
  • AHPRA registration
  • A letter of support signed by the practice, and on practice letterhead stating why you require access to Medicare benefits and the period required
  • Identity documents including
    • A valid visa (if applicable)
    • If PR or citizen, your birth certificate or citizenship certificate
  • If PR/Citizen & Non-VR, a valid 3GA program approval



For General Practitioners applying for the first time

Plan for Medicare before you apply for a PESCI. It is important to make sure you will meet the criteria for AHPRA and for Medicare before you start booking things or else you will potentially risk losing time and money. If you’re confused, please reach out! Our team are here to help.



For General Practitioners who have vocational registration

You can apply for a Medicare Provider Number via PRODA which allows you to get a provider number in under 24 hours. If you haven’t already signed up for this, you should- it is a great way to manage your provider numbers and other online details. If you need help with this, please contact our team.



How Can We Help?

Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at help@peoplemedical.com.au.  



People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners, and   Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.

Related Articles


This is a CORE BLOG and you can refer to related blogs in the FAQs at the bottom.  Need help understanding your pathway? Date Updated:…