The Specialist pathways are for the following international medical graduates (IMGs):
- Overseas-trained specialists applying for assessment of comparability to the standard of a specialist trained in that specialty in Australia (specialist recognition)
- Overseas-trained specialists applying for an area of need specialist level position in Australia (area of need)
HOW DO I START THIS PATHWAY?
IMGs who have a primary qualification in medicine and surgery awarded by a training institution recognised by both the Australian Medical Council and the World Directory of Medical Schools (WDOMS) and who have satisfied all the training and examination requirements to practise in their field of specialty in their country of training, can apply for assessment under this pathway (specialist recognition or area of need).
Please keep in mind that as an International Medical Graduate you will be required to work in a Distribution Priority Area for a moratorium of 10 years.
There are two pathways within the Specialist pathway:
Specialist pathway – specialist recognition:
The IMG must apply to the Australian Medical Council (AMC) for primary source verification of their medical qualifications.
The IMG should apply directly to the relevant specialist medical college using the college application form.
The college assesses comparability against the criteria for an Australian-trained specialist in the same field of speciality practice.
The college will assess the IMG as:
- Not comparable, or
- Substantially comparable, or
- Partially comparable
Following assessment, the IMG will be required to undertake a period of supervised practice, which may involve the completion of workplace based assessment(s) or further training, and college assessment, including examinations.
After the IMG has completed all the college requirements, the college can recommend that the IMG be granted recognition as a specialist.
Specialist pathway – area of need:
The IMG must apply to the Australian Medical Council (AMC) for primary source verification of their medical qualifications
The IMG applies directly to the specialist medical college who assess qualifications and relevant experience against the specified requirements of a position in a confirmed area of need.
This pathway does not lead to specialist registration. IMGs on the Specialist pathway – area of need may also apply for the Specialist pathway – specialist recognition if they wish to gain specialist registration with the Board. The IMG can complete the requirements for specialist recognition while working in an area of need position.
The outcome of your comparability assessment will determine the type of registration you can apply for.
Specialist pathway – specialist recognition
- IMGs who have been assessed by the college as substantially comparable or partially comparable and are working towards specialist recognition will be eligible to apply for Limited registration for postgraduate training or supervised practice or Provisional registration (for IMGs qualified for the Competent Authority pathway)
Specialist pathway – area of need
- IMGs who have been assessed by the college as suitable for an area of need position Limited registration for area of need or Provisional registration (for IMGs qualified for the Competent Authority pathway)
Specialist pathway – specialist recognition and area of need
- IMGs who have been assessed by the college for specialist recognition and an area of need position Limited registration for area of need Provisional registration (for IMGs qualified for the Competent Authority pathway)
Specialist pathway – specialist recognition
- IMGs who have been admitted as Fellows of an AMC accredited specialist medical college, or who have been advised by the college that they are eligible for fellowship Specialist registration
IMGs with limited or provisional registration must work under supervision.
Once you have undertaken the recommended period of supervised practice or workplace based assessment, you will either be automatically eligible to apply for Fellowship or will have to sit the Fellowship exams. Read our blog for more information: https://www.peoplemedical.com.au/pathways-to-fellowship/
DO YOU NEED HELP?
Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at email@example.com.
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.