If you’re an International Medical Graduate coming to Australia via the standard pathway, before you are able to apply for General Registration you will have to either have passed the AMC Clinical Exam or complete a Workplace Based Assessment.
AMC Clinical Exam
The AMC Clinical Examination is a structured clinical assessment that consists of a 16-component multistation assessment. It assesses your clinical skills in medicine, surgery, obstetrics, gynaecology, paediatrics and psychiatry. It also assesses your ability to communicate with patients, their families and other health workers. It is like a mock-patient interaction.
How can I apply?
You can apply for this exam at this link: https://www.amc.org.au/assessment/clinical-examination/
How much does it cost?
The exam costs $3,730.00 AUD
Workplace Based Assessment
Another way to achieve General Registration is to undertake a Workplace Based Assessment. This assessment of your performance in everyday clinical practice in the Australian healthcare setting tracks your progress in integrating clinical knowledge and skills as a basis for safe and effective clinical judgments and decision making. It also assesses how well you deal with patients and whether you work productively in a team of healthcare professionals.
For WBA, disciplines covered include medicine and surgery; obstetrics and gynaecology; paediatrics; and psychiatry, however instead of only needing to work in these disciplines, doctors will be assessed using some of the following strategies:
- Mini-Clinical Evaluation Exercise (min-CEX)
- Direct Observation of Procedural Skills (DOPS)
- Case-based Discussion (CBD)
- In-Training Assessment (ITA)/Structured Supervision Reports
- Multi-Source Feedback/360 Degree Assessment
- Choice and design of assessment methods with clearly described criteria and assessor training are essential elements of a successful workplace based assessment program.
How long is WBA?
How to apply?
Currently these are the only approved providers of WBA, which means if you are considering this option you will need to apply to work at one of their hospitals:
- Central Coast Local Health District
- Central Queensland Hospital and Health Service
- Gold Coast Hospital and Health Service
- Hunter New England Local Health District
- Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District
- Joondalup Health Campus
- Launceston General Hospital
- Latrobe Regional Hospital
- Limestone Coast Local Health Network
- Monash Health
- Mildura Base Public Hospital
- Mid North Coast Local Health District
- Northern Adelaide Local Health Network
- Northern NSW Local Health District – Richmond Medical Workforce
- Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service
- South Western Sydney Local Health District
- WA Country Health Service
- Western Sydney Local Health District
- Wide Bay Hospital and Health Service
How much does it cost?
The cost of completing the workplace based assessment varies for the different hospitals. Please check with your employing hospital to determine the cost of the assessment.
We Can Help You
Our team offers General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at email@example.com.
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.
Information from this blog has been taken directly from: