The Workplace based assessment (WBA) is an evaluation for a doctor’s performance in everyday clinical practice, and it is another option for accomplishing the clinical component of your assessment rather than taking the AMC Clinical Examination.
To be eligible for a workplace based performance assessment, you must have:
- Passed the AMC CAT MCQ Examination
- Limited registration with the Medical Board of Australia
- A clinical position at a practice or hospital with a contract for the whole duration of WBA
Please note that you are able to start the WBA before the completion of the EICS primary source verification process. However, you should have finished it in order to obtain the AMC Certificate.
To apply for a workplace based assessment program, here is a visual summary:
You first need to contact the relevant workplace based assessment manager at the site where you intend to work or are already working. The provider will explain the selection and application process and any additional requirements before offering you a place in the assessment program. Providers will require you to undertake a pre–workplace based assessment program in addition to meeting the AMC’s eligibility requirements.
The accredited provider has the final responsibility for offering places in its workplace based assessment program. The AMC has no role in securing employment for workplace based assessment.
Currently these are the only approved providers of WBA, which means if you are considering this option you will need to apply to work at one of their hospitals:
- Central Coast Local Health District
- Central Queensland Hospital and Health Service
- Gold Coast Hospital and Health Service
- Hunter New England Local Health District
- Illawarra Shoalhaven Local Health District
- Joondalup Health Campus
- Launceston General Hospital
- Latrobe Regional Hospital
- Limestone Coast Local Health Network
- Monash Health
- Mildura Base Public Hospital
- Mid North Coast Local Health District
- Northern Adelaide Local Health Network
- Northern NSW Local Health District – Richmond Medical Workforce
- Sunshine Coast Hospital and Health Service
- South Western Sydney Local Health District
- WA Country Health Service
- Western Sydney Local Health District
- Wide Bay Hospital and Health Service
Note: The information presented above has been sourced from the AMC website and the new guidelines have been updated as of 2023.08.10.
We Can Help You
Our team offers General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at email@example.com.
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.
Information from this blog has been taken directly from:
- Accredited Assessment Programs
- Eligibility and How to Apply for Workplace based assessment
- Workplace based assessment
- About Workplace Based Assessment