Here at People Medical Consulting we like spreading what we know and giving you a clear pathway to your career. We’re answering a different question each week based on queries raised via our Facebook & Instagram profiles.
THIS WEEK’S QUESTION…?
How can I recruit General Practitioners in a Metropolitan Area?
With the changes to DWS to DPA, closure of SAPP and the introduction of the Health Workforce Certificates, it has now become harder for practices in Metropolitan Areas to recruit General Practitioners. We have outlined your options for recruiting below:
UNRESTRICTED GENERAL PRACTITIONER
Your best option for recruiting is to hire a VR General Practitioner who is unrestricted by 19AB and does not have a moratorium.
VR GENERAL PRACTITIONER UNDER 19AB
You can hire a VR General Practitioner with Permanent Residency or Australian Citizenship that is restricted by 19AB, however if your practice does not hold DPA you will need to arrange a 19AB exemption. You can consider the following exemptions:
- Locum Exemption – Allowed to work for 6 months in the practice as a locum.
- After Hours Exemption – Allowed to work during the after-hours.
- Spousal Exemption – Spouse will need to be have been approved on a skilled visa in the last 10 years and if they are working as a GP, will either need to be outside of their moratorium or hold an unconditional exemption. Under this exemption, they will need to be within a close distance to their partners workplace.
- Replacement Exemption- A GP has left your practice and you are replacing them.
- Academic Exemption – Teaching Medical Students through a University.
RESTRICTED GENERAL PRACTITIONER
If you have a General Practitioner that is restricted by 19AA and 19AB, they will not be approved to receive Medicare Benefits in a metropolitan area as they will be unable to join a 3GA program. In this situation, the restricted GP can privately bill patients and not access Medicare benefits at your practice. They can arrange a refer and request provider number that will allow them to still refer patients to Specialist and request diagnostic tests for patients.
HOW CAN WE HELP?
Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at [email protected].
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners, and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.