How can I recruit General Practitioners in a Metropolitan Area?

Unrestricted General Practitioner

Your best option for recruiting is to hire a VR General Practitioner who is unrestricted by 19AB and does not have a moratorium. They will need to be a permanent resident or Australian Citizen.

VR General Practitioner Restricted By 19AB

You can hire a VR General Practitioner with Permanent Residency or Australian Citizenship that is restricted by 19AB, however if your practice does not hold DPA, you will need to arrange a 19AB exemption. You can consider the following exemptions:

  • Locum Exemption – Allowed to work for 6 months in the practice as a locum.
  • After Hours Exemption – Allowed to work during the after-hours.
  • Spousal Exemption – Spouses will need to have been approved on a skilled visa in the last 10 years and if they are working as a GP, will either need to be outside of their moratorium or hold an unconditional exemption. Under this exemption, they will need to be within a close distance to their partner’s workplace.  
  • Replacement Exemption – A GP has left your practice and you are replacing them.
  • Academic Exemption – Teaching Medical Students through a University.

You may read more about 19AB and its exemptions here.

Non VR Doctor on a Visa Restricted By 19AB

From 16 September 2023, Health Workforce Certificates will no longer be a requirement for International Medical Graduates meaning that these Doctors can now be considered in M1 Non DPA locations. The same rules apply as the above section “VR General Practitioner Restricted By 19AB” but please note that you will bill A2 Medicare rates. 

You may read more about Medicare rates here.

Restricted General Practitioner

If you have a General Practitioner that is restricted by 19AA and 19AB, they will not be approved to receive Medicare Benefits in a metropolitan area as they will be unable to join a 3GA program. In this situation, the restricted GP can privately bill patients and not access Medicare benefits at your practice. They can arrange a refer and request provider number that will allow them to still refer patients to Specialists and request diagnostic tests for patients.

Note: The information presented above has been updated as of 2023-08-28.

We Can Help You

Our team offers General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at

People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.

Related Articles

PEP Specialist Stream

IMPORTANT UPDATE: From 22 November 2023 an exemption will apply to the following Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements for Comparability Assessments: *This will apply to all pending and…