Working as a General Practitioner in Australia | Moving from Hospital to General Practice | PRODA | Contractor | Salary | Percentage | Indemnity

This is a CORE BLOG and you can refer to related blogs in the FAQs at the bottom.

Need help understanding your pathway?

Date Updated: 2024-01-12

A General Practitioner in Australia is responsible for managing the primary care of their patients. They will assess, diagnose, treat and manage their patient’s health on an ongoing basis.

GPs in Australia primarily work from Private Clinics. 

According to ACRRM, “the General Practitioner is the doctor with core responsibility for providing comprehensive and continuing medical care to individuals, families and the broader community. Competent to provide the greater part of medical care, the general practitioner can deliver services in the primary care setting, the secondary care setting, the home, long-term residential care facilities or by electronic means – wherever and however services are needed by the patient within their safe scope of practice.

RACGP also defined general practice as “the provision of patient-centred, continuing, comprehensive, coordinated primary care to individuals, families and communities.”

Commencing as a GP In Australia

Support in Practice

When you move into general practice in Australia, you are often on your own in decision making and reasoning, and whilst there are doctors in the practice who are able to support you at times, the bulk of your decisions will be made individually.

A Contractor—Not an Employee

Most GPs are sole traders (contractors), or have a company and therefore work for themselves! The biggest difference between being an employee and a contractor is the fact that as a contractor, you will be responsible for calculating and paying your own taxes.


As a contractor, be aware that most contracts will not include paid leave. This means that when you’re sick or want to take a holiday, this time isn’t paid for you and you’ll therefore need to save to cover these periods!


As a GP, you will be required to get indemnity insurance. Please note that if you come from a hospital setting, you would still need to update your insurance as Hospital doctors have a different indemnity insurance to General Practitioners. 

It’s mandatory for all medical practitioners to have professional indemnity insurance before practicing in Australia. We work with Grant at Aweso insurance.


Currently it is standard practice for General Practitioners to work as Sole Traders or Contractors, meaning they do not earn a salary and have leave benefits. They’re paid on a commission basis, per patient that they see. When commencing at the clinic, a GP will negotiate what percentage of each consultation they will receive. This percentage is between 50% and 70% depending on the GPs supervision requirements, experience and qualifications. It’s important to get a good accountant, as you will be responsible for calculating and paying your own taxes. We work with Xperion, who specialise in Medical Practitioners. 


The word PRODA is an acronym for Provider Digital Access. It’s a system used to access multiple online government services including HPOS (Health Professional Online Services) & NDIS (National Disability Insurance Scheme). Anyone wanting to access HPOS must have a PRODA account. It is individual, so your details should not be shared with others wanting access.

HPOS is an acronym for Health Professionals Online Services. This is an online service allowing providers to liaise with Medicare more directly. You can access programs, Medicare items and make claims, generate reports and update your details. You can also apply for provider numbers. Read more about PRODA and HPOS here.

Continuing Professional Development (CPD)

GPs are required to participate in ongoing professional development to maintain their registration. This involves attending courses, workshops, and conferences to stay up-to-date with medical advancements. We can support you in building a CPD plan if you need. You can contact our team at to discuss.

The Process as an Australian Medical Graduate

After you have completed your medical degree and your internship year, and when you are ready to participate in Fellowship Training, you’ll have 5 Fellowship program options. Complete these to pursue your Fellowship pathway and become a General Practitioner in Australia. 

We discuss these pathways in greater details here.

Note: If you were not an Australian permanent resident upon application to your Australian medical qualification then you will be restricted by 19AB. Please refer below. 

The Process as an International Medical Graduate 

Medical Qualification Recognition:

Required Examinations:

English Language Proficiency:

Source a Job:

  • Via agencies such as People Medical

Note that prior to accepting a role ensure that the role meets the requirements for AHPRA and Medicare. Additional information is provided in links below.

Registration with the Medical Board:

  • If you’re applying for a registration for the first time, there are three types of registration you may be eligible for. Ensure you meet the eligibility criteria and the requirements before sitting your PESCI and applying to AHPRA.
    • Limited Area of Need
    • Limited Post Graduate Training & Supervised Practice
    • Provisional AHPRA Registration

Obtaining a Provider Number:

Have more questions? Email us at and we can help you with your concerns and documents or book a consult with us below.


We Can Help You

Here at People Medical Consulting, we have a passion for guiding medical practitioners through their career pathways to Australia. We have extensive experience in assisting medical facilities in recruiting doctors from local and overseas who will best suit their requirements.

We provide Document Assistance for those requiring support for their PESCI with IME, ACRRM or RACGP, registration and all other mandatory AHPRA requirements, fellowship program related forms and letters, application for Medicare provider and prescriber numbers, application for 19AB or 19AA exemptions and preparation of employment documents.

If you’re looking for assistance, contact us at and we would be glad to help you.

Related Articles

PEP Specialist Stream

IMPORTANT UPDATE: From 22 November 2023 an exemption will apply to the following Continuing Professional Development (CPD) requirements for Comparability Assessments: *This will apply to all pending and…