What is it?
The ‘Practice Stream’ provides financial incentives to help general practices with the cost of engaging nurses, allied health professionals and/or Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health workers and health practitioners.
How does it work?
When a practice participates in the Practice Stream, it must report to Services Australia on the health professionals it is engaging and their average weekly hours.
Every quarter, Services Australia sends a statement to the practice to be confirmed or corrected. This includes details of hours worked during that quarter by eligible health professionals employed by the practice. Once Services Australia receives the returned completed statement, it pays the incentive directly to the practice.
Am I eligible?
Practices that are eligible for the Practice Stream are:
- general practices
- Aboriginal Medical Services
- Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services.
There are specific eligibility requirements for this payment. These include:
- general practice accreditation requirements
- employment of at least one full-time or part-time general practitioner
- engagement of at least one eligible health professional
- eligibility for the Practice Incentives Program (PIP) – if a PIP consenting practice
- a specified amount of public liability insurance, as set out in the guidelines.
Eligible practices in all locations can participate. Rural loadings are applied to practices in rural, regional and remote areas of Australia.
Some services are not eligible for this payment, including:
- after-hours services
- any hours worked by health professionals where the practice already receives support to pay them. This includes:
- time billed to Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) services (unless an exemption applies).
- support received from other Australian Government or state/territory funding or private funding.
How much can I get?
The maximum incentive payment under the Practice Stream is $125,000 per year. The amount paid to each practice depends on the:
- size of the practice, measured in Standardised Whole Patient Equivalent (SWPE)
- hours worked by eligible health professionals at the practice
- location of the practice.
To receive the maximum annual incentive payment, a practice must have a SWPE value of 5,000 or above and engage eligible health professionals for a combined minimum of 63 hours and 20 minutes per week.
Different incentive amounts apply to different health professionals.
HOW DO I APPLY?
DO YOU NEED HELP?
Our team offer General Practitioners assistance with finding jobs and a career pathway, and Medical Facilities to find a new Medical Practitioner. We also help with the full application process with AHPRA, RACGP, ACRRM, Department of Health, Medicare including 19AA & 19AB. If we can help, please contact us at [email protected].
People Medical Consulting are a team of professionals with a passion for guiding those specialising in the Medical industry to find their career pathway and settle into Australia. Working with both Australian trained and Overseas trained professionals, we have extensive experience in Recruitment of General Practitioners and Document Assistance for those requiring support with RACGP, AHPRA, 19AA and 19AB Medicare Exemptions.